Pages

5/15/2011

Creamy Broccoli Soup with Blue Cheese

I'm a fan of soups no matter the time of year.  I'll make stews and soups all year round, I go against the grain that way, I guess...most people think of them only as a Fall and Winter meal, but I don't see a reason to wait when you have the air conditioning on!

This soup was delicious and it gave me a reason to break out my Cuisinart Hand Blender I've had in my basement since our wedding shower!  What a wonderful tool that is for any level of cook!  I've used it several times since this recipe and am loving it...I never knew what I was missing, but it definitely comes in handy and MUCH easier to clean than a whole blender.

Creamy Broccoli Soup with Blue Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Relish!

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ½ white onion, chopped
  • 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
  • coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste








Directions

  • Heat oil in a large soup pan over medium heat. 
  • Add onion & sauté until limp, 4-5 minutes. 
  • Add potatoes & broccoli, cook until potatoes are beginning to color, about 5 minutes.
  • Add chicken broth & bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce heat to medium-low & cook until potatoes are very tender, 20 minutes. 
  • Pour ingredients (in batches) in blender. (Or use hand blender right in the pot)
  • Make sure to let steam escape before processing. Remove cap from hole in lid, cover lid firmly with a dish towel & blend. 
  • Return soup to pan; add cream and blue cheese & cook, stirring, until soup is heated through & blue cheese is melted. 
  • Season to taste with salt & pepper. 
  • Serve garnished with extra blue cheese, if desired. 








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails