This soup was delicious and it gave me a reason to break out my Cuisinart Hand Blender I've had in my basement since our wedding shower! What a wonderful tool that is for any level of cook! I've used it several times since this recipe and am loving it...I never knew what I was missing, but it definitely comes in handy and MUCH easier to clean than a whole blender.
Creamy Broccoli Soup with Blue Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Relish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pan over medium heat.
- Add onion & sauté until limp, 4-5 minutes.
- Add potatoes & broccoli, cook until potatoes are beginning to color, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth & bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low & cook until potatoes are very tender, 20 minutes.
- Pour ingredients (in batches) in blender. (Or use hand blender right in the pot)
- Make sure to let steam escape before processing. Remove cap from hole in lid, cover lid firmly with a dish towel & blend.
- Return soup to pan; add cream and blue cheese & cook, stirring, until soup is heated through & blue cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Serve garnished with extra blue cheese, if desired.