This was easy, tasty and flavorful!! Thank you so much to Mara over at What's For Dinner? for the recipe/inspiration.
Turkey Florentine Meatballs
- 1 box frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1 1/3 pound (1 package) ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 c. finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 c. milk, divided
- 3/4 c bread crumb
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 c turkey stock
- 1 8-oz. bag shredded 2% Mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Noodles or rice
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Wring the defrosted spinach dry in a clean kitchen towel.
- Place the turkey in a bowl. Add the spinach, all but 3 tbs. of the onion, the garlic, egg, about 1/4 c. of the milk, mushrooms, the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Form into 12 large meatballs and drizzle with EVOO.
- Arrange on a nonstick cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the meatballs are in the oven, heat a small saucepot over medium heat.
- Add a drizzle of EVOO and 2 tbs. butter.
- Melt the butter, then add the remaining finely chopped onion.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in the flour.
- Cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the remaining 1 1/2 c. milk and 1 c. stock.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil, then stir in the shredded Mozzarella.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg and turn the heat to lowest setting.
- Place three meatballs on top of noodles or rice, top with sauce and serve.