Pages

11/22/2009

Granola


We needed something to snack on in our house besides chips or cookies and I saw this on my Google Reader (love that thing!) and it was just what I was looking for.  I adapted this recipe quite a bit, adding things I knew we'd like and omitting things I didn't care for or have on hand. 

It turned out great and I did not use it as bars, but crumbled it and put into 2 containers, one to put in the freezer for later and one for the fridge to use as cereal, a snack or a topping for yogurt.


Granola
Recipe adapted from Proceed with Caution, which she originally adapted from Clean Eating, Nov./Dec. 2009.

Ingredients
  • 1 c. unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
  • 1/2 c. dried berry mix
  • 1 c. dried cranberries
  • 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 1/2 c. Flax seeds
  • 1 1/2 c. unsweetened brown rice cereal
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place Silpat on a 9x13 baking sheet.
  • Place almonds in a food processor.  Lightly pulse until chopped.  Transfer to a large mixing bowl; add oats, dried fruits, Flax and cereal. 
  • In smaller bowl, combine egg whites, honey, cinnamon, salt & vanilla, stirring well.  Add to almond/dried fruit mixture and stir until well coated.
  • Spread mixture onto Silpat, pressing down gently.  Bake about 25 minutes or until browned.  Allow to cool 15 to 30 minutes before crumbling. 
  • Store in airtight continers in the refrigerator or freezer.

1 comment:

Rachel K. said...

This is delicious! Thank you so much for bringing me in some to work! I can't wait to try it on my own!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails