After a much-needed trip to the grocery store for produce, fruit and meats, I saw that eggplant was on sale. The first thing that came to mind was Eggplant Parmesan and since I had never made it before, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try it! Once I added a can of tomato puree and Italian-seasoned bread crumbs to our cart, we were good to go!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 1/2 c. Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbs. heavy cream
- Tomato sauce of your choice (I used homemade)
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella cheese, fresh or shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Salt both sides of each round of eggplant and let sit in a colander for 15-20 minutes to draw out the bitterness and excess moisture.
- Place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- In a second shallow bowl, add eggs and cream and mix well.
- Pat off moisture from eggplant with paper towels until dried well.
- Dip in egg mixture then breadcrumb mixture and place on baking sheet
- Repeat with remaining eggplant slices.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce of your choice.
- Place a layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Once eggplant have cooked 15 minutes, remove from baking sheet and place on top of sauce layer.
- Top each piece with a spoonful of sauce, dust with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella on each piece.
- Bake for another 15 minutes until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.