Mushroom Broccoli Mac & Cheese
Recipe courtesy of me
- 1 c. dried macaroni
- 2 c. fresh broccoli florets
- 1 c. fresh mushrooms, chopped in large dice
- 4 tbs. butter
- 4 tbs. flour
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium low heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute until just slightly softened.
- Add flour 1 tbs. at a time and stir to combine with mushrooms, cooking off the raw flour taste for about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk while stirring. Turn heat up to medium high & let it come to a simmer, stirring constantly until thickened to coat the back of a spoon.
- Turn heat back down to low & add in cheese, salt, pepper & garlic powder, stirring to incorporate & melt the cheese.
- Boil macaroni for the directed amount of time on the package & when there is about 3 minutes left, add the broccoli in with the macaroni to cook the broccoli at the same time.
- Drain the broccoli & macaroni in a colander & then add into the cheese sauce, mixing to coat.
- Serve & enjoy as a side or a main dish!