Pages

3/02/2009

My newest endeavor

Baking all our own bread. With times as tight as they are these days, I can't justify buying a loaf of bread for $3 or more, having it go bad quickly and have it pumped full of preservatives! My goal this year was to make more breads, which honestly, I was quite afraid to do, since I haven't worked with yeast breads very much at all...it's been so easy and rewarding!

My newest attempt is making "Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" as the book by the same name promises...now this 5 minutes does not take into consideration the rising and resting time, but the dough is now in the fridge and can stay there for up to 14 days, ready for me to grab a chunk, shape, let it rise and then bake at a moments notice! Since I just made the dough today, I will let you know tomorrow how the first loaf goes!!!

The technique reminds me of the No-Knead Bread I've been obsessed with lately...a wet dough that requires no kneading but the longer it sits, the better it gets. It requires minimal special equipment, such as a covered bin to keep the dough in, an oven thermometer, and a baking stone. Easy!! I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

One Particular Kitchen said...

How fabulous! I make our own bread, too, and I LOVE it. It's better for you, it's cheaper, and it TASTES so much better! Good for you!

gaga said...

I'm so glad you're giving this a try! It gets easier the more you do it.

And, I know that you're planning on making it tomorrow, and it'll be fantastic tomorrow too, but save some dough to make at least a week from now. The flavor is seriously sooo much better.

Good luck!

Kanella said...

What a great idea, bread prices are out of control these days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails