Pages

2/15/2009

Amish White Bread



I was ambitious today...actually, I was trying to trick my brother-in-law into staying for dinner with us but it didn't work! I had a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove and even that smell didn't persuade him to stay and he ended up going home before I got this bread in the oven. I bet if I were just a little quicker, he might just have changed his mind when the smell of homemade bread filled the house!

This was really easy to make!! Since the recipe makes two loaves, I decided to make mini-loaves and some free form mini breads to make garlic bread with for dinner. They all turned out wonderfully! I took the mini loaves out after 15 minutes and the regular loaf out after 30 minutes, as directed. All were very good!!

I got this recipe from Tina over at Mommy's Kitchen. You should really check out her website, it is amazing. And she's a sweetheart to boot, never hesitating to help me out with a question or to leave me a positive comment on my blog.

Amish White Bread
Recipe courtesy of Mommy's Kitchen
Ingredients
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45degrees C)
  • 1/3 - 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour
Directions
  • In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast.
  • Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  • Mix salt and oil into the yeast.
  • Mix in flour one cup at a time.
  • Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
  • Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat.
  • Cover with a damp cloth.
  • Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  • Punch dough down.
  • Knead for a few minutes and divide in half.
  • Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  • Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails