Pages

1/24/2009

Polish Mushroom Soup


Ok, I've made Hungarian Mushroom Soup recently, but it didn't give me the Mushroom Soup fix I was craving...you see, for the majority of the holidays I have been with my husband, we have visited his Grandma and Aunt, where they have fixed us lovely meals complete with a delicious Mushroom Soup and that soup is absolutely spectacular. His step-mother also makes this soup when we visit their house too...so I decided this is a recipe I just have to be able to make in my own home as well!

I was inquiring about it with my lovely mother-in-law and she said she would be able to tell me how to make it myself...I love to gather family recipes and master them, so I will be able to make them at home for my husband and eventually be able to pass them on to our children one day. She told me how to make this and though mine turned out a teeeeeny bit too thin, with a little adjustment, I will be able to get the texture down better. It did, however, have the same tangy, mushroom-y flavor that I was aiming for. With some practice, it will *almost* be as good as the soup that comes from the other wonderful women's kitchens in Paul's family, but *almost* as good is great for me!! You really can't mess with perfection anyway.

Mushroom Soup
Recipe courtesy of: Mom (Sofia)

Ingredients
  • 6 cups water + 1/4 cup
  • 2 small containers of fresh white button mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped (with stems) into a small dice
  • 3 tbs. butter
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced finely
  • 4 tbs. flour
  • 1 16 oz. container of sour cream
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Green onions, sliced very thin, to garnish
Directions
Place chopped mushrooms and 6 cups of water into a large pot (I also added salt and pepper at this point, but not much). Bring to a boil, then cover and turn down to simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute onions in butter in a separate small pan until soft and golden. Set aside.

In a bowl or large measuring cup, whisk sour cream, flour and 1/4 cup of water together until all incorporated and smooth.

After about 30 minutes of simmering you will see the water has turned a nice deep brown, whisk in the sour cream mixture into the soup....whisk quickly while you pour to mix fully and have no lumps. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add onions and mix. I added salt & pepper at this stage as well. Then simmer for another 10 minutes or so until it's all warmed through and the flavors have all mixed.

Ladle into bowls, garnish with green onion & serve...you can add some small chunks of boiled potato at this point or small pieces of kielbasa, or eat it as is.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I love the sound of sour cream in mushroom soup.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails