I was browsing through my Google Reader and saw that I had this recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup starred from Carrie's wonderful blog, Carrie's Sweet Life. I had all the ingredients on hand and it would make for a spectacular dinner. I decided to make focaccia bread to go along side, using this recipe that I had made before.
My husband's first reaction was "WOW" and after we both began eating, we loved this soup! It is creamy, hearty and comforting. Of course, I did a few very minor tweaks, but it didn't need many tweaks at all!!!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Recipe courtesy of Carrie's Sweet Life
- 3 tbsp. of unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of yellow onions or sliced leeks (use only the bottom white part) *I used shallots*
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic *I used about 1 tbsp.*
- 1/2 tsp of chopped fresh thyme or 1/8 tsp of dried
- 3 tbsp. of flour
- 3 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed & separated or 2 to 3 cups of fresh
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups of shredded medium Cheddar *I used 2 cups of cheddar blends*
In a medium pot, melt 3 tbsp. of butter over medium-high heat.
Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook until soft about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme. Stir frequently for 20 seconds while it cooks.
Add the flour and stir until throughly mixed for about 3 minutes. Slowly add chicken broth while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened for about 5 minutes.
Add the broccoli and cook for 10 minutes until tender.
Add the cream and barely bring to a simmer. Then add the cheese and lower heat till the cheese is melted.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons cold butter. Stir until it is mixed throughly.