Chicken Tortilla Soup with Spicy Crisps
Recipe courtesy of Relish!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 3/4 c. beef broth
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder, plus more for spicy crisps
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 oz. Rotel tomatoes with chilies, undrained
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 4 T. canola oil
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheese
- sour cream
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Drop in the chicken breasts and boil for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Drain chicken in colander and let cool.
- Shred or cube the meat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and sauté onion and garlic in oil.
- Pour into the medium pot you used for chicken.
- Add beef and chicken broth, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno(to taste), salt, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes and chicken.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In the skillet, heat the canola oil until hot.
- Cut tortillas in narrow strips and fry.
- Sprinkle with salt and a little chili powder.
- When done, place on paper towels.
- Place half of the strips in bowls.
- Fill with the hot soup.
- Garnish with more tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.