Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe courtesy of Group Recipes
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.) - I used chicken tenderloins
- 2 TB. olive or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, minced - I used half of one onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 - 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper - I used 1 tsp. (Paul said it was very spicy)
- 1 tsp. powdered ginger
- 8 Cups broth, chicken or vegetable
- 3/4 lb. extra wide egg noodles - I used arancini di pepe, tiny pasta
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cut the chicken meat into 3/4" cubes.
- In a large, heavy pot or soup kettle, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, and then cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the onion and garlic. Don't be too concerned about things sticking and even burning just a bit on the bottom of the kettle; this is what gives the soup its flavor.
- When everything starts to brown up, about 5 more minutes, add the Cayenne pepper and Ginger. Adding the full amount of Cayenne pepper will make the soup fairly hot.
- Stir constantly for about a minute, then add the broth.
- Let everything come to a slow boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover, simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a separate pot of water for the noodles to a boil, add noodles and cook for 1 minute less than the recommended cooking time on the bag.
- Drain the noodles and add to the pot of soup, turn off the soup, let stand 5 minutes and serve.
- Top each bowl with a sprinkling of chopped scallions.