General Tso's Chicken - prepared by Paul
Recipe courtesy of Beachlover's Kitchen
- 1-2 lb boneless chicken breast (cut into cubes)
- 5-6 tbs. corn flour (*Paul used 8 tbs. regular flour)
- 1 egg (*Paul used 2 eggs, he said it was too thick with one egg)
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- *mix above ingredients for 20 minutes before deep fry*
- 1 head broccoli (cut and steamed)
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 4-5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbs. Soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Chinese Rice Wine
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger powder
- 1 Tbsp. Chicken Bullion powder (*Paul omitted)
- 1 tsp. Dark soy sauce (*Paul omitted)
- 1 Tbs. Corn flour with water (dissolved) (*Paul used corn starch)
- 1 Tbs. Sesame oil
- Paul added Red Pepper Flakes to his plate to give it some heat
- Prepare oil in deep pot for frying at medium heat. Add in coated boneless chicken in the hot oil one at a time, fry until it's turned golden brown, remove and lay on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Prepare wok with 1 tbsp oil at high heat. Add in garlic, Chinese rice wine, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, dark soy sauce, ground ginger powder, chicken bullion powder and corn flour solution. Let the sauce simmer until it boils. Quickly add in fried breaded cubed chicken in the thick sauce, mix well. Remove from heat.
- Microwave cut and washed broccoli in a large bowl, covered for 2 minutes (It would be easier to boil or steam the broccoli until tender on the stovetop). Decorate steamed broccoli with cooked chicken as shown. Serve warm with rice.