Cake - French Vanilla Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cake Mix
Layer of Seedless Raspberry preserves in between the layers.
Courtesy of Dorie Greenspan, Baking My Home To Yours
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine the sugar and egg whites in a medium heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water.
- Whisk the sugar mixture constantly over heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture looks smooth and shiny, about 3 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and pour into a stand mixer bowl. Whisk on medium speed for about 5 minutes until the mixture has cooled.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and with the speed on low, add the butter a few pieces at a time, beating until smooth.
- When all the butter has been added, beat the buttercream on medium-high speed for about 6-10 minutes until it is very thick and smooth.
- Add in the lemon juice and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla.
- The buttercream is ready to be used. Place a piece of plastic wrap against the surface until you are ready to use it to prevent it from drying out.