These were a great snack while watching the Super Bowl! I didn't make the cheese sauce to go with them, but I did warm up some cream cheese to use as a dipping sauce and had mustard to dip in as well.
Soft Pretzel Bites
Recipe courtesy of Two Peas and Their Pod
which they adapted from Bobby Flay
- 1 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 oz. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 c. all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 3 qt. water
- 3/4 c. baking soda
- 1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tbs. cold water
- Coarse sea salt
- Combine the water, sugar, yeast, & butter in the bowl of a stand mixer & mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour & mix on low speed until combined.
- Increase the speed to medium & continue kneading until the dough is smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tbs. at a time.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, knead into a ball with your hands.
- Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough, turning to coat.
- Cover with a clean towel & place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size (1 hour.)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat & add the baking soda carefully!! (It bubbles up on you, so I added it in small increments at a time).
- Remove the dough from the bowl & place on a flat surface.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
- Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches.
- Boil for about 30 seconds.
- Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with a Silpat, ensuring they are not touching.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash & sprinkle with the salt.
- Place into the oven & bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to a baking rack & let cool 5 minutes. Dig in!