Easy Cinnamon Chip Scones
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup cinnamon chips (can substitute other types of chips or fruit)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position & preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in cinnamon chips.
- In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
- Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form.
- Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
- Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.