Christmas baking is such a wonderful tradition and it feels so good to share the treats with those around us. I have been a busy baker this weekend, making up some treat boxes for my friends/co-workers. This recipe just jumped out at me as "Christmas-sy" and I had to include it. These are delicious and are wonderful dipped in coffee or tea!
Candy Cane Biscotti
Recipe courtesy of Pennies on a Platter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup finely crushed peppermint candy canes
- 14 ounces fine quality white chocolate, melted
- extra crushed candy canes to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder & salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter & sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add dry ingredients & mix until combined & stir in crushed candy.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. Shape each piece into 9″ x 1 1/2″ round log. Place logs 3 inches apart onto baking sheet with a silpat or parchment.
- Bake until tops are cracked & ends just start to turn light brown, about 18-20 min. Remove from oven & reduce temperature to 325. Cool logs 10 minutes on cookie sheet.
- Cut each log diagonally into 1/2″ slices with sharp serrated knife. Arrange pieces standing up back onto the baking sheet.
- Bake until cookies are light golden brown & crisp on both sides, about 12-15 min. The centers may still be a little soft but will firm up as they cool. Place onto cool rack & cool completely.
- Dip half of each biscotti into melted chocolate & shake off excess. Immediately sprinkle with additional crushed candy canes & set on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet until the chocolate has set.
- Make about 4 dozen.