Pages

8/21/2009

Easy & elegant meal

I am a huge Food Network fan...I watch most shows on there with few exceptions and I watched every episode of this season's Next Food Network Star. The winner, Melissa d'Arabian had me hooked when she showed an easy 4-Step Chicken and her individual Potato Gratins! Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to catch her new show yet, but I know I really liked her presentation on the NFNS, where she gave plenty of kitchen tips for the busy person.

Overall, this recipe is a HIT. It was easy, while I couldn't find my muffin tin (it's MIA apparently!), I used ramekins for the Gratin and they turned out wonderfully. They came together so easy and while they baked, I got everything ready for the chicken dish. The chicken was very flavorful, I took the advice on the Foodnetwork.com website and only used 1 lemon instead of 3...it was very lemony with one, I wouldn't use 3. My husband and I absolutely loved the Gratin, it looked elegant and tasted amazing. I will definitely be making this again!!!

Flexible 4-Step Chicken - Rustic Lemon-Onion Chicken
Recipe courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian, The Food Network

Ingredients
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced thin or pounded (I used tenderloins)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I added this)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
Directions
  • Season chicken with dried thyme & salt & pepper. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat & add the oil. Dredge the chicken in flour, add to the hot oil & saute until cooked through. Set chicken aside to rest on plate tented with foil.
  • In same saute pan, over low heat, add onions & fresh thyme & cook until aromatic.
  • In a measuring cup, measure broth & add the lemon juice. Turn the heat up to high & deglaze the pan with the broth mixture until starting to reduce.
  • Remove the pan from the heat & finish the sauce by whisking in butter. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
  • Spoon the sauce over the chicken & serve.
Individual Potato Gratins
Recipe courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian, The Food Network

Ingredients
  • Vegetable spray
  • 2 large russet potatoes, roughly peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • Spray 8 muffin tins with vegetable spray.
  • Layer potato slices, cheese & onions into each muffin cup.
  • Season with salt & pepper and top each gratin with 1 or 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
  • Cover with foil & bake for 30 to 40 minutes, removing the foil halfway through cooking time.
  • Invert gratins onto plate & serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails