Pastor Ryan's Herbed Bread
Recipe courtesy of Pastor Ryan, via The Pioneer Woman Cooks blog
- 20 oz. of bread flour - 4 cups.
- 8 oz. of water (or 1 cup.)
- 4 oz. melted butter with chopped herbs of choice. (I used chives)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon active or instant yeast. (or proof yeast in the water if you are using active.)
- Combine ingredients all together in a KitchenAid stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (it can be done by hand but takes longer). I mixed them together for about 10 minutes or so.
- Place dough in a bowl with plastic wrap over it for 1-4 hours to double in size. After it’s gotten bigger, knead it for a minute or two so that the yeast can redistribute.
- When dough is almost done rising, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut a large ‘X’ into the surface of the bread dough and drizzle it with olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt.
- Place inside a covered cast iron pan. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, then remove lid to finish it off for another 15 to 30 minutes or until an internal temp of 200-210 is reached.