Macaroni & Cheese
Recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman
- 4 cups dried macaroni
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 heaping teaspoons dry mustard (more if desired)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound cheese, grated - I used mostly cheddar and a little bit of mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- *Optional spices: cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme - I used paprika
Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
In a small bowl, beat egg.
In a large pot, melt butter & sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
Pour in milk, add mustard & whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
Take 1/4 cup of the sauce & slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
Add in cheese & stir to melt.
Add salts & pepper. Taste sauce & add more salt & seasoned salt as needed!
Pour in drained, cooked macaroni & stir to combine.
Serve immediately (very creamy - this is what I did) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese & bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly & golden on top.