Pages

1/19/2009

Who can fondue?




WE can fondue! YUM.... I decided to pick up some cheeses I normally wouldn't use in order to make fondue! I found a recipe from Cook Like a Champion for Garlic Cheese Fondue. SOLD! I love anything and everything garlic, so this fondue was right up my alley. I used a half-and-half mix of Gruyere and Fontina cheeses and it worked out wonderfully...though at the beginning, I think I had the heat on the pot TOO low, because the cheese just clumped up in the pot...I was scared! Then, I turned the heat up a notch and then the magic started happening! I served this with Green and Golden Delicious Apples, blanched broccoli florets, French bread cubes, baby carrots and mushroom quarters. My plan was to serve this and a salad, but we were so full from the fondue, the salad wasn't necessary! OH, can't forget a good glass of Pinot Grigio with dinner!

Garlic Cheese Fondue
Recipe courtesy of Cook Like a Champion, adapted from The Everything Fondue Cookbook by Rhonda Lauret Parkinson

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 lbs. Gruyere cheese (Fontina works well, too.)
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine, plus 2 tablespoons
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard

Directions:
-Remove rind from cheese and finely dice.
-Smash and peel the garlic cloves.
-Add 1 1/2 cups of wine to saucepan.
-Add garlic cloves and cook on low heat. Do not allow the wine to boil.
-When the wine is warm, stir in the lemon juice.
-Add the cheese, a handful at a time. Stir continually in a sideways figure eight. Wait until cheese is completely melted before adding more. Do not allow mixture to boil.
-When cheese is melted, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons white wine and stir into cheese.
-Turn up the heat until mixture just bubbles and starts to thicken.
-Stir in dry mustard.
-Transfer to a fondue pot.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

We love fondue especially on these cold nights! Everything looks delicious and that recipe looks great!

Noor said...

OMG I love fondue, I miss the Melting Pot back in the states boo. Thanks for the idea I never even thought about doing it home but I think I will try this..

Love the blog and congras on the wedding, hope you have a life filled with blessings and happiness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails