Pages

1/15/2009

Homemade Flour Tortillas


My latest attempt in the kitchen...they were easy, yes....however, they were not very pliable...I am not sure what I did wrong, but it was something...I think I needed to use more water, since the recipe called for 1-2 cups and I used barely 1. However, they were good enough to serve the purpose I needed, to make Mexican Pizzas.

The recipe that I used for the tortillas is from My Wooden Spoon, it's a great blog, you should check it out!

Flour Tortillas
Recipe courtesy of My Wooden Spoon

Ingredients:
  • 4 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 c. shortening
  • 1-2 cups of HOT water
Directions:

1. Get the griddle (or large skillet) going before you start this part so it will be nice and hot. Sift all dry ingredients together and add shortening. Mix thoroughly. (just like you were making a pie crust.)

2. Add hot water. Obviously you don’t want to burn yourself but the hotter you can stand it, the easier your tortilla dough will be to work with.

3. Knead until soft, smooth dough is formed.

4. Pinch off dough (a little less than the size of a golf-ball) and form into a rounded biscuit looking thing..lol.

5. Dip into flour and roll out.

6. Cook on your tortilla griddle (I used a hot large skillet). When you see the bubbles NOT coming up, that’s when you flip or take off.

7. Throw them in your tortilla keeper.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

How cool - I'd love to try to make my own tortillas - we use them ALL the time! Other than not being as pliable with less water, was the taste good?

Shawna said...

Yes Melissa - the taste was very good. I think that I should have added more water because the texture after baking it (for the Mexican Pizzas) was flakey, like crust...not crisp. So I think that's where I went wrong...try it! It was fast and easy! Hopefully yours turn out a little bit better!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

How fun is this?! I should try my hand at this - it looks so easy too!

Melissa said...

Thank you - my husband will think I'm nuts when I tell him I'm going to make my own tortillas! I'm sure I'll blog it when I give it a shot!

Noor said...

OMGGGGGG I can not believe how easy these are. I thought you needed some special stuff but I just thought hmm flour tortillas duh Noor, lol. Its so hard to get these here and I do love them so much alone. Its good to know I can make them now. Thanks for sharing, can not wait to make them yumo. BTW I love your blog you have everything I love I am adding you to blog roll so I can find you easy lol.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails