I remembered today that I had a package of wonton wrappers in my fridge that needed to be used fairly quickly...after a little searching, I came up with Cream Cheese Wontons, but didn't end up using any recipe in particular, so here is what I did. The dipping sauce I made didn't exactly turn out like I wanted, it was too strong and bitter, I believe from too much rice wine vinegar...so I won't include the recipe, but you can make your own sweet & sour or hot mustard sauce to dip...or they were great plain!
- Wonton wrappers
- 1 block of cream cheese - softened
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- small bowl of water - for wetting wonton edges
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients together and let sit for about 20 minutes for the flavors to meld.
- Meanwhile, heat your oil (as much as needed for about 2 inches in your pot) to about 350-375.*
- Lay out individual wonton wrapper, fill with a medium line of the cream cheese filling...you can fill any way you want, I just make "bars" out of them, but you could make purses, triangles, etc...
- Wet the edges of the wrapper in order for the edges to stick together and not fall apart.
- Fry in batches until crispy and golden brown in color.
- Scoop out with a slotted utensil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain while you fry the rest.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice or plain!