Pages

1/26/2009

Cream Cheese Wonton


I remembered today that I had a package of wonton wrappers in my fridge that needed to be used fairly quickly...after a little searching, I came up with Cream Cheese Wontons, but didn't end up using any recipe in particular, so here is what I did. The dipping sauce I made didn't exactly turn out like I wanted, it was too strong and bitter, I believe from too much rice wine vinegar...so I won't include the recipe, but you can make your own sweet & sour or hot mustard sauce to dip...or they were great plain!

Ingredients
  • Wonton wrappers
  • 1 block of cream cheese - softened
  • 3 scallions, sliced thin
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ginger powder
  • small bowl of water - for wetting wonton edges
  • Vegetable oil for frying

Directions
  • Mix all ingredients together and let sit for about 20 minutes for the flavors to meld.
  • Meanwhile, heat your oil (as much as needed for about 2 inches in your pot) to about 350-375.*
  • Lay out individual wonton wrapper, fill with a medium line of the cream cheese filling...you can fill any way you want, I just make "bars" out of them, but you could make purses, triangles, etc...
  • Wet the edges of the wrapper in order for the edges to stick together and not fall apart.
  • Fry in batches until crispy and golden brown in color.
  • Scoop out with a slotted utensil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain while you fry the rest.
  • Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice or plain!
*I totally winged this part, I just filled my dutch oven and put it over medium-high heat....I tested one, it didn't begin to fry, so I adjusted the temp. a little higher and it worked after that. :) Not very technical on my part, however, we do have a deep fryer in our basement still in the box from our wedding shower, however, we have no where to store it (and the oil) when we do use it, so it's waiting for a new kitchen one day when we have more space!

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! I have a slight obsession with ordering crab rangoon at chinese restaurants - lol

Melissa said...

Yum! I keep saying I am going to try eggrolls/crab rangoon, etc - something made with wontons! This look easy and awesome.

Anonymous said...

These look great! How do you think they would be baked?

Shawna said...

I am not sure about them being baked, it would be interesting to find out...I found this on Sparkpeople...so it can be done! If you try it, let me know how it works out for you!

Spray baking sheet AND won tons with PAM then bake won tons at 400 for 7-12 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails