Cheddar Cheese and Macaroni Recipe by Rachael Ray, 30 Minute Meals 2
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked 8 minutes or al dente to package directions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or EVOO (once around the pan)
- 2 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
Heat a medium-sized deep skillet over medium heat. Add oil and butter. When butter melts into the oil, stir in flour. Gently cook, whisking flour and butter together, until smooth and flour has had a chance to cook, about 3 minutes. Slowly add milk while continuing to whisk. Gently bring milk to a bubble while stirring frequently. Allow the milk to thicken a bit, then stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, a handful at a time. Season sauce with nutmeg and cayenne. Taste and add a little salt, if you like. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and coat completely by turning over and over in the cheese sauce. Transfer to a baking dish, top with remaining cheese, and place under a hot broiler for a minute to brown the top.
Oil and butter in the pan.
Whisking in the milk.
The cooked and drained macaroni, all ready to
be drenched in cheesy goodness!
Stirring in the cheese mixture, spread into glass pan and with the sprinkled cheese on top.